Love for Food

Thai Chicken Soup

I've been excited to make this Thai Chicken soup since I saw the recipe in the January '10 issue of Martha Stewart Living. I love Thai soups but I've never tried to make one before – mostly because it can be difficult to find ingredients like kaffir lime leaves and fresh lemongrass.
However, this recipe has a fairly simple ingredient list. I added sliced mushrooms and carrots in my version. It's not exactly like the Tom Yum Gai soup I've had at Thai restaurants, but it is similar. I like my soup spicy enough to make my face flush - to do that this recipe needs one more chile pepper at least, but it's probably a good level of spice for most people.

My fiance Brian gave the soup this review: "Wow! This is the best soup you've ever made!", followed by "I'm really lucky." Words I'll never grow tired of!

Thai Chicken Soup (similar to Tom Yum Gai)Start to Finish: Approximately 1.5 hours ( 30 minutes hands-on time)
Serves: 2 generously

Ingredients:1/2 of a whole chicken (I got one at Whole Foods for $4)
5 cups water
1 teaspoon of sea salt (or regular salt but I prefer sea salt)
2 garlic cloves, smashed
2 medium size shallots, thinly sliced
4 thin slices peeled fresh ginger
1/3 bunch fresh cilantro (1 cup packed)
1 large lemongrass stalk (I found one at Whole Foods for $0.40)
1 green Thai chile, thinly sliced
1 cup of thinly sliced crimini mushrooms
1 cup of julienned carrots
1 teaspoon of Thai fish sauce (available at most grocery stores in the aisle with soy sauce)
1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice, lime wedges for garnish, a teaspoon of lime zest

1. Bring water, chicken and salt to boil in a large stockpot. Skim off foam.
2. Add garlic, ginger slices, shallots, cilantro, lime zest, and most of the lemongrass (yellow and pale-green parts only, sliced crosswise– save about 1 tablespoon of it for later). Reduce heat. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken breast and set it aside. Simmer the soup, partially covered, for another 30 minutes.
4. Remove the rest of chicken from the pot and set aside with the chicken breast. Strain the soup through a sieve, discard the remaining solids. Return the soup to the stockpot.
5. Stir in the chile , reserved tablespoon of lemongrass, mushrooms and carrots. Simmer lightly for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, remove and slice the meat from the bones of the chicken.
6. Skim off the fat from the soup. Stir in lime juice and fish sauce. Return sliced chicken to pot.
7. Serve soup garnished with cilantro and lime wedges.