Love for Food

Matchbox Vintage Pizza Bistro

This week in DC, I had lunch with my out-of-town friend Leah and her friend Allison (@MissAllisonG) whom she hadn't seen since high school. We met in Chinatown, and upon Allison's recommendation we dined at Matchbox, a "vintage pizza bistro". Completely delicious! My only regret is that I didn't find out about it sooner. It's now at the top of my list for a repeat visit.

The meal began with a round of martinis. I chose the pomegranate martini (pomegranate liquor, absolut mandrin, sour mix and a splash of sprite).

Next, we shared a heavenly apple and pear salad comprised of mixed greens, candied pecans, Gorgonzola and a light but flavorful honey-balsamic vinaigrette .

For our entree, we split the "veggie pizza". It was the best vegetable pizza I've ever had. A white pizza with cremini mushrooms, spanish onions, roasted poblano peppers, roasted garlic, mozzarella, fresh herbs, fingerling potato crisps (essentially potato chips , which are deeeeelicious on pizza – who knew?)

We splurged on the trio dessert. On the left, a trio of sorbets, in the center, a molten chocolate cake, and on the right, the standout, house-made cinnamon doughnuts with a cup of espresso kahlua crëme. The doughnuts were to die for – soft and doughy on the inside, lightly crisp on the outside, not a bit greasy. Next time I'll skip the trio and just order the doughnuts.