Love for Food

Megan's Pantry Puzzler

In this post, I'll be answering a food query from Megan, who commented on the blog recently asking for help with what to make of a hodgepodge of ingredients in her pantry left behind by a previous roommate:

Hi Ashley!
I was wondering if you could/would like to help with a food-related problem. I was going through my pantry today and came across a bunch of ingredients left by a roommate who moved out recently. The following list includes stuff I don't have a CLUE what to do with but by good fortune or bad - am now the owner of. Help!

Pastina, Clam Juice, Duck Sauce, Orzo, Malt Vinegar, Chipotle Tabasco, Tamari Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, and Cherry Syrup (which has a very thin consistency)

Thanks!Megan

I'm not going to take this list and attempt to combine it all into one fabulously impossible dish (fabulously disgusting)... but most of the items here have great potential and I've managed to find a one-dish combination of four of the ingredients.

Pastina, tiny pasta stars, are a fun place to start. As a little kid, I enjoyed them in chicken soup. So my recommendation for those is to keep it simple. Chicken stock + pastina, if you feel like it, add some sauteed celery, carrots and onion. A very comforting meal.

For the Orzo, I suggest combining it with the clam juice to create a Seafood Paella. Clam juice is the strained liquid from shucked clams. To this soup you'd add seafood you like, such as shrimp, cod, mussels. Here's a recipe to try.

For the oyster sauce, this recipe is worth a try. A pretty simple ingredient list. I'd go a little lighter on the sugar though, 3/4 cups is a lot. Agave nectar or honey are healthier substitutes (taste test - the amounts will differ).

Duck sauce is generally comprised of dried plums, sugar, vinegar and spices. I'd try coating some boneless skinless chicken breasts with it and baking them in the oven.

Finally, the grand finale, a four ingredient combo: cherry syrup, soy sauce, malt vinegar, and chipotle Tabasco, to make Grilled Spare Ribs with Cherry Glaze. (it has high marks from 194 reviewers on epicurious). Substitute cherry syrup for the cherry cola since the syrup has a thin consistency and the chipotle Tabasco for the hot pepper sauce. Personally, I'd rather use cherry preserves than cherry syrup in an entree because I'd be afraid the syrup would be too sweet... so I'd add the syrup a little bit at a time and taste test as you go.

If anyone else has a "pantry puzzler" of seemingly incongruous ingredients... leave a comment and I'll do my best to solve it! C'mon, I'm up for the challenge!

*pantry photo via flickr user carolyn.will