Love for Food

Preserving Fresh Herbs

Last week, I bought some dill. I don't remember what recipe I intended it for but I've managed to get it into my cooking on several occasions over the past week. And yet, I am still left with an insane amount of dill... enough to season 10 meals for a family of 10. Since my household has just 2 mouths to feed, the dill will surely go bad before I use it all. I can't stand to waste food. What's a girl to do?

I've heard that herbs can be frozen in ice cubes to preserve their freshness. Later, the individual cube-size servings can be thawed – and voila, fresh herbs brought back to life! I've never tried this on my own until today. It was fun and simple. And now, for probably the next 6 months, whenever I want fresh dill, I won't have to go to the supermarket, it will be there in my freezer. This is a cost saver too!

The method is very simple. Fill every compartment of an ice cube tray half-full with water. Then fill each space with a bunch of herbs (mint would be wonderful – perfect for iced tea). Put the tray into the freezer. Once mostly frozen, add water to fill the cubes - this two-step method keeps the herbs from floating to the top of the cubes.