Love for Food

Rice Pudding

Lately I've been trying to cut down on my dairy intake to see if it improves my overall health because I suspect that I'm somewhat lactose intolerant. When I scanned my freezer last night for dessert options, the raspberry sorbet I'd purchased earlier this week just didn't strike my fancy. I wanted something creamy. A treasure hunt through my kitchen turned up these ingredients: some very ripe bananas, a can of light coconut milk, unsweetened shredded coconut and unsweetened dried mango slices. These lovely flavors and several complimentary spices inspired this yummy vegan rice pudding.

Note: If you want to make this recipe even healthier, opt for brown rice and lessen or omit the maple syrup. It will be less sweet, but with very ripe bananas you'll still have lots of flavor. I'd also recommend toasting the coconut flakes. The kind I had on hand were finely shredded for baking so I just mixed them in au natural.

Coconut Banana Mango Rice PuddingStart to Finish: Approximately 30 min.
Serves 2-3

Ingredients1/2 cup Jasmine Rice
1 can light coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon)
1/8* tsp ground ginger (or 1" slice of peeled fresh ginger)
1/8* tsp ground clove
1/8* tsp ground cardamon
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup diced unsweetened dried Mango
2 very ripe bananas cut in half lengthwise then diced
2 tablespoons Maple Syrup

*1/8 tsp is approximate, it equals a pinch or two. Adjust to your liking.

Steps1. Rinse rice in a bowl with several exchanges of cold water until the water comes out clear.
2. Combine rice, coconut milk, cinnamon, ginger, clove and cardamon in a small pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is done.
3. Transfer the mix to a bowl and remove all solids.
4. Stir in diced dried mango. When it combines with the hot rice it will rehydrate and soften.
5. Heat maple syrup in a frying pan on low heat and stir in cut up bananas. Coat with syrup and cook for a few minutes so that bananas begin to caramelize. Be careful not to burn them.
6. Add bananas and shredded coconut to rice and combine well.