Love for Food

Black Bean Brownies

After a long grueling winter I was happy to hear birds chirping on my way home from work last week. I was even happier this weekend with 74-degree sunny weather. This year I made a pact with some friends to get to the beach and enjoy the summer weather more often. Last year with everyone’s busy schedules we didn’t even go once.

Seeing some cute new suits makes me want to get a new one this year. However, one thing that always brought me anxiety is bathing suit shopping! Good thing my friend challenged me to a weight loss challenge. Whoever lost the most in one month won. Though we bet no money I have a lot of pride and am determined to win. I also know I can't go a month without chocolate.
In the back of my mind I remember something about mixing beans with brownie mix. I did a little Google research and decided to give it a try. I'm not sure who came up with this (perhaps Weight Watchers) but the results were fantastic. After about five minutes of effort I had diet friendly brownies.

The taste is less sweet and chocolaty than a typical brownie. The texture is very fudge like and smooth. These brownies remind me of a stepped up (in flavor and texture) chocolate protein bar. Not quite a protein bar and not quite a brownie. I like that I can eat one as a midmorning or afternoon snack due to and not feel guilty about it.
Recipe: makes about 20 browniesIngredients:
1 box brownie mix
1 15oz.can black beans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Method:

  • Using a strainer, rinse black beans and place back in can. Add water to fill can.
  • Puree brownie mix and cinnamon with black beans/water. (I used a hand blender)
  • Bake according to box directions.
Cost: $1.65 for 20 or about .9 per brownie!!
Weight Watcher points: 3Nutrition Facts: Amount per serving

Calories 136.9

Total Fat 1.9 g

Saturated Fat 0.5 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g

Cholesterol 0.0 mg

Sodium 138.5 mg

Potassium 61.1 mg

Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g

Dietary Fiber 1.5 g

Sugars 0.0 g

Protein 2.8 g