Love for Food

Guinness Hot Chocolate

Over and over again I was reading about City Bakery and how they make the best hot chocolate in the city. One article I read quoted over 500 cups ordered every day. Not having real hot chocolate in about ten years I was very excited that February was City Bakery's Hot Chocolate Festival.
I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I was determined to make it to the festival this year. I made it with only ten minutes to spare on February 28th, the last day. The place was packed and they were sold out of the daily flavor (Polar Bear - white chocolate) but I was happy to order the regular milk chocolate having never tried it. I was asked if I wanted a Skimpy or Wimpy which are made with more milk to chocolate ratio or skim milk. Duh full throttle was what I was thinking. I'm a woman there is no chocolate I can't handle! What an absurd question! I was wrong. It was intense, tasting just like you took a chocolate bar and melted it. Next year I think I'll have to come and try some of the unique flavors; only this time in sample size which is more like a shot glass size. (Not to mention FREE!! saving myself the $5.00 bucks for a small, marshmallow extra $.50).I was inspired by their calender of flavors and drawn to the stout flavor. Chocolate does pair well with quite a few things. The regular milk chocolate hot chocolate was too sweet and heavy for my taste. The bitterness of the beer should mellow it out and it did. My recipe is below. I like how this recipe can be tweaked for your own taste by using half and half instead of milk more or less beer etc. I made mine with skim milk and didn't feel that any taste was sacrificed. I actually like my version better than City Bakery's after only one attempt.

Recipe: makes about 5 cups, 5-1cup servings
Ingredients:
2 cups of chocolate chips (the better quality the better the hot chocolate)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 of cinnamon
1/8 of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups milk, cream, or half and half
1 cup Guinness beer

Method:


  • Put everything in a pot and constantly whisk till chocolate has melted and the milk is hot and it's ready.
Time: 5 minutes Cost: about $5.00 or $1.00 per 8oz serving
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 419.9 (YIKES!!)
Total Fat 20.5 g (YIKES!!)
Saturated Fat 12.2 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.7 gMonounsaturated Fat 6.8 gCholesterol 3.9 mgSodium 116.7 mgPotassium 570.6 mgTotal Carbohydrate 54.6 gDietary Fiber 4.0 g (YAY!!)
Sugars 36.6 gProtein 9.8 g (YAY!!)
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Weight Watcher points: 9!!!

You can easily buy a box of cocoa mix and add water (or milk) for $2.00 but the difference in flavor and texture is very different. Drinking hot chocolate vs hot cocoa (made with cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate) really satisfies as a dessert.