Love for Food

Whole-Wheat Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Muffins baking in the oven.






I hate cupcakes that masquerade as muffins and that's why I was happy with this recipe. I found this recipe on the back of the Pillsbury whole-wheat flour bag. I was looking for the King Arthur brand flour because I've heard their whole-wheat flour is lighter but could not find any. Since my local Associated Supermarket only had Pillsbury, I went with it. Bought to make Monday's waffle post I had a lot of flour left to use. I always check the back of the bag for recipes. Usually those are contrived in test kitchens and are fool proof. I changed around the recipe a bit to add more apple flavor and less fat. The muffins taste like real muffins and are not too sweet. You don't taste any carrot flavor but I think it adds moisture to the muffin. If 18 are too many for you you can freeze them. Pop thawed muffins in the oven for a few minutes to reheat. They taste best out of the oven (or toaster oven) cut in half with some butter (I used Smart Balance). I had one with a cup of tea and it was the perfect afternoon snack.

Recipe: makes 18 muffins

Ingredients:
1 cup whole-wheat flour (Spelt flour can be used as a lighter alternative)
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded carrots
2 cups shredded apples and 1/2 cup chopped apples1/2 cup raisins (I didn't use any since I hate rasins)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees, coat muffin pan with no-stick spray.
  • Combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
  • Add apples, carrots, raisins, and walnuts, mix well.
  • Add apple sauce, milk, vanilla, and eggs. Stir till moisterned.
  • Fill muffin cups 3/4 way full and bake about 25 minutes.
Cost: about $5.00 total or .28 per muffin

Time: 20 minutes active, 45 minutes totalNutrition Facts: Amount per serving
Calories 118.7 (YAY!!)
Total Fat 3.0 g
Saturated Fat 0.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.8 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 23.6 mg
Sodium 12.8 mg
Potassium 85.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 2.9 g

Weight Watcher points: 2 (YAY!!)