Love for Food

Mobile Review: Street Sweets Truck

Venue: Street Sweets Truck Location: 59th Street and 9th Avenue Review: The Street Sweets Truck has haunted me for several months now, parked right outside my school. I was always tempted to stop in for something yummy, but not diet friendly. During spring break, I thought I was safe only to turn around and smack right into the truck while running errands. Yesterday I paid a visit to my nemesis, all for the sake of research. The Sweets Treat truck was created by Grant DiMille and Samira Mahboubian to highlight the European inspired create your own croissant shops. The croissants can be filled with various items of your choice such as nutella, honey or chocolate. The truck also boasts being green by using bio-diesel fuel, and using only organic ingredients.

I ordered a ham and cheese croissant because it was dinner time and I was hungry. I also wanted to try the croissant because that's what they are known for. On the plus side the croissant tasted very good, and the texture was nice and flaky. On the negative, the croissant was extremely greasy, and left grease stains on the bag and my hands. Perhaps it's not the intention, but it was a bit skimpy for dinner and much more suitable for a snack. For dessert, I got a pumpkin whoopie pie. I attempted to make whoopie pies for Thanksgiving and failed. I wanted to see how it was "suppose" to taste. The whoopie pie was good but nothing special. The cake portion lacked a certain something and the filling was too sweet. I could also taste the graininess of the sugar in the filling. If anyone has a hankering for a whoopie pie in the Columbus Circle area, I recommend Whole Foods whoopie pies which are about ten times the size and surprisingly inexpensive. Stop or Go: Go, the treats are good but not great and rather expensive.
Cost: croissant with ham and cheese and whoopie pie $7.00