Love for Food

Mobile Review: Taco Truck

Venue: Mexican Food Truck
Location: Corner of Valentine and Fordham Road, Bronx

Review: The Taco Truck might be the best thing about working in SoBro (South Bronx). The Taco Truck is a Mexican greasy spoon which will never leave you disappointed. Prices went up this year but are still reasonable. One taco will set you back $2.50. The tacos are a pretty good size but you still need two for a meal. Taco options include the traditional chicken, beef and pork and even goat for the more adventurous. Perhaps there are slim pickings for salad options in SoBro, but I find their chicken salad is better than any salad in the area. It's better because they put in more ingredients than a typical chicken salad you would get else where. The salad comes with red peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, hot peppers and various other veggies. My personal favorite is the torta. A torta is a Mexican sandwich. The meat is served on a warm, greasy, and crusty white bread. The sandwich is topped with avocado, jalapeno peppers, lettuce/ tomato and the meat of your choice. I always opt for the steak which is cut into pieces for easier chewing. The steak torta reminds me of a Mexican Sloppy Joe. It’s my ultimate comfort food for lunch after a long morning. You can get your food "to go" in a bag or "for here" on a plate. "For here" diners can eat standing beside the truck and place their food on a ledge (metal leaf proped up from the side of the truck). L.A. eat your heart out!

*Last week I attempted to make my own "healthy" torta. I used a whole wheat roll and made a mixture of mashed beans and topped with guacamole, tomatoes, and pickled jalapeno peppers. To make the bean mash, I mashed pinto beans and cooked them in a frying pan with a tablespoon of oil, cumin, salt/pepper, garlic and onions. It was tasty but definitely not the same as my beloved torta.
Stop or Go: Stop, totally worth checking outCost: Tacos $2.50, Tortas $6.00, Chicken Salad $8.00