Love for Food

Three Cheese Calzone

I came across a recipe for calzones in the $5.00 dollar dinner blog. The $5.00 dinner blog is written by a mom who manages to feed four for dinner each night for $5.00 or under. The recipe was for a traditional calzone made with red sauce. I never thought about making a calzone thinking it would be too difficult. But if $5.00 mom blogger could, I was sure I could too. I always loved playing with play-dough as a kid and the idea of working with the dough appealed to me. She used homemade dough using a bread machine. Since I don't have a bread machine, I bought some Pillsbury ready made pizza dough on sale at Pathmark. The great part about calzones is that you can use any leftovers you have. I had goat cheese left over from the salad I made earlier in the week and decided to do a white calzone. I also added spinach since I am always trying to "hide" some veggies in my meals. I managed to burn the bottoms a tad. They were still tasty but I would warn you to watch them very carefully. The top part was barley golden but the bottom was overdone. Similar to cookies take them out of the oven as soon as they begin to brown. Serve the calzone with a side of marinara sauce. Recipe: makes four calzones Ingredients: 1 10 oz. package of frozen spinach 1 cup low fat ricotta 1 cup shredded mozzarella 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano 1 10 oz tube of ready made pizza crust 1/2 cup goat cheese 1 teaspoon cornstarch Method:

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Remove spinach from package and cook for 3 minutes in the microwave, squeeze out excess water
  • Mix spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, Italian seasoning, cornstarch, and goat cheese in a bowl.
  • Divide dough into four balls
  • Roll out individual dough ball and place one fourth of filling in center, make sure to leave about one inch around for sealing the dough
  • Fold over dough and seal the edges using a fork
  • Place on a greased baking sheet
  • Bake in the oven about 10 minutes, making sure to watch carefully, as they are easy to burn

Cost: about $5.50/ $1.37 per serving Time: 10 minutes inactive, 10 minutes inactive Nutrition Facts: Amount per serving Calories 438.9
Total Fat 23.1 g
Saturated Fat 13.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.0 g
Cholesterol 61.6 mg
Sodium 850.6 mg
Potassium 251.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
Sugars 3.3 g
Protein 28.2 g


Weight Watcher Points: 7 per serving