Love for Food

Avgolemono (Greek Lemon Soup)

One of my favorite things to order at my local diner is Greek Lemon Soup. Greek Lemon Soup, or Avgolemono, popped into my head as I was thinking about dinner last night. Despite the heat I wanted soup. Something about the lightness of this soup or brightness of the lemon reminded me of summer. I found the recipe on eHow.com; but all of the recipes I looked at were exactly the same. I was pleased by the few ingredients - most of which are household staples. I spent about five minutes of active time making this soup, which was a savior after a long day at work. I was worried that the egg would curdle, but did not have any issues. The taste is creamy and a bit tart. (Use two lemons if you care for a less tart version.) I ate it plain but it would be great with some chicken and veggies to make it a complete meal. Ingredients: Serves Six 3 lemons (juice of)
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup rice
6 cups chicken broth
parsley (garnish)
salt and pepper

Method:

  • Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add rice, reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes (till rice is done).
  • Turn off heat and ladle a small amount into another bowl, while whisking continuously.
  • Mix the small bowl of liquid into the large pot and mix well.
  • Heat the pot on med/low (not boiling) for about ten minutes.
  • Garnish with parsley.
Cost: about $4.50 total or $.75 per serving
Time: 5 minutes active, 25 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 118.2

Total Fat 5.1 gSaturated Fat 1.6 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.9 gMonounsaturated Fat 2.4 gCholesterol 109.6 mgSodium 347.4 mgPotassium 286.3 mgTotal Carbohydrate 10.5 gDietary Fiber 0.1 gSugars 4.3 gProtein 7.4 g

Weight Watcher Points: 3 per serving