Love for Food

Tandoori Chicken

I use to live in Murry Hill aka Currey Hill and became spoiled by the vast array of wonderful Indian food. Now that I live waaaay up town I don't get to eat it as much as I'd like to. I was excited to see this recipe in Food Network Magazine because it was under the cheap and easy weeknight section. I bought the ingredients before carefully reading the recipe. Alas, the recipe as is required a food processor, which I don't have. I had flashbacks of Anne Burell from the TV show Worst Cooks in America chastising the cooks who failed to do this cardinal rule. I changed things around a bit and was still pleased in the end. The chicken was super easy to make, moist, and flavorful. The taste was not too spicy or strong for those who don't love Indian food as much as I do. Also, the meal was cheap and the leftovers made a great salad. (See Friday's post)
*This dish is typically made in a clay pot (tandoor). I imagine this would work well in a tangine pot. Time to dust off those tangine pots collecting dust in the closet!

Ingredients: serves six
2 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts (skin removed)
1 lemon (juice)
3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, grated or ginger powder
1 table spoon ground coriander
1 table spoon ground cumin
1 table spoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup plain yogurt4 teaspoons tomato paste (I used a small can 6oz. that is about 5 teaspoons)

Method:

  • Make shallow cuts in the chicken with a knife.
  • Mix all of the ingredients (except for chicken) well
  • Add chicken to marinade and coat chicken
  • Refrigerate chicken for a few hours to marinate
  • Broil chicken about six minutes each side or until fully cooked
Cost: $4.00 total or .67 per serving
Time: 10 minutes active, 20 minutes inactive (cooking)

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving*
Calories 167.2 (YAY!)
Total Fat 1.6 g (YAY!!)
Saturated Fat 0.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 66.2 mg
Sodium 360.4 mg
Potassium 647.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 28.9 g Weight Watcher Points: 3 points per serving (YAY!)

*Calories are based on five servings. When I started eating I realized I could get six servings out of the amount I made. However, I am use to eating smaller weight watcher sized portions. I kept the calories the same because I figured people would probably eat more than I did per serving.