Love for Food

Sheppard Pie

Sheppard's Pie is one of my most favorite things to eat. When my mom asked me as a kid what I wanted for my birthday dinner, I would say, "Sheppard's Pie, of course!". A few years had passed since I last had the dish, and I kinda forgot about it. One day while perusing online I saw a WW recipe for it. I had to try it. Nothing is more homey and comforting than mashed potatoes. Add meat to the potatoes and you can't beat it. This healthier version of Sheppard's Pie will fool you. I made a few changes to keep the mashed potatoes up to my standards. I added a bit more milk, (too dry) and a bit of butter for flavor. I usually had Sheppard's Pie with carrots and peas but the zucchini made for a nice change of pace. For only five points per serving, you save about four points than if you ate a traditional Sheppard's Pie; and I don't think any taste was compromised. I ended up making two smaller batches. I froze one and ate the other one. I knew I would get sick of eating the dish after about four times in a row. The frozen leftover's also make for a great lazy day meal. Ingredients: Serves Eight
8 medium uncooked red potato(es), peeled and quartered
5 tsp olive oil, divided1 tablespoon butter1/4 cup(s) fat-free milk3/4 cup(s) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese, divided1/8 tsp table salt, or more to taste1/8 tsp black pepper, or more to taste1/2 cup(s) onion(s), chopped12 oz uncooked ground turkey breast2 cup(s) zucchini, or yellow summer squash, sliced14 1/2 oz canned tomatoes, chunky pasta-style, undrained6 oz canned tomato paste1/4 tsp black pepper1 spray(s) cooking spray
Method:

  • Preheat oven to 375°F.
  • Place potatoes in a large pot and fill with just enough water to cover potatoes. Boil until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and place back in pot. Add 2 teaspoons of oil, milk, 1/4 cup of cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mash until fluffy; set aside.
  • Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining tablespoon of oil and heat until it shimmers. Add onion and turkey, and cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes; drain off any fat. Stir in zucchini or squash, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper; bring to a boil.
  • Coat an 8 1/2- X 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray; fill with turkey mixture. Spread potato mixture on top of turkey mixture, covering it completely. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake until potato mixture is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.
Cost: $9.00 total, or $1.12 per servingTime: 30 minutes active, 50 minutes inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 320.0
Total Fat 11.5 gSaturated Fat 2.7 gPolyunsaturated Fat 1.0 gMonounsaturated Fat 6.5 gCholesterol 26.1 mgSodium 650.4 mgPotassium 1,176.4 mgTotal Carbohydrate 40.5 gDietary Fiber 5.5 gSugars 6.5 gProtein 14.9 g
Weight Watcher Points: 5 per serving