Love for Food

Spicy Black Bean Yogurt Soup (Cold)

This dish started out as my attempt to curb mid-afternoon hunger. I found this recipe on the Weight Watcher's website. I figured that the beans would add a lot of fiber allotting me to stay full until dinner. The dip was one point and since veggies are zero, I thought this might be a godsend.
For whatever reason, perhaps because I added too much yogurt, my dip was very runny. I was upset for about two minutes until I came to a realization. My black bean dip was a black bean soup! Black bean soup made me even happier because I could have this as a light dinner. In this heat and humidity I was in no mood for turning on the stove. Perfect!
PS It's a tad tangy which I love but omit the lime for less kick.
Ingredients: Serves Twelve
15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, leaves, loosely packed, plus extra for garnish
1/2 cup(s) salsa ( I used 10oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilies)
1/2 cup(s) plain fat-free yogurt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp table salt


Method:

  • Drain and rinse black beans.
  • Place all ingredients in a large bowl and blend with an immersion blender.
  • Chill.

Cost: about $4.50 or .37 per serving
Time: 5 minutes active

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 118.9

Total Fat 0.4 gSaturated Fat 0.1 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.2 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.0 gCholesterol 0.4 mgSodium 43.5 mgPotassium 282.1 mgTotal Carbohydrate 21.7 gDietary Fiber 7.4 gSugars 3.5 gProtein 8.0 g

Weight Watcher Points: 1 point per 1/2 cup serving according to Weight Watcher's. According to my calculation 2 points per serving, however, it has a great amount of fiber and protein and almost no fat.