Love for Food

4th of July Cake Pops

I've been wanting to make these for months. They aren't that complicated, but let me just say they took a lonnng time to complete. But "first times" for everything take longer than normal - next time will be so much easier.

Yes, I went through and separated all the Blues and Whites because I could not find single-color stars anywhere .

1. Bake a cake (or 2).

2. Cool completely. 3. Dump into bowl.

4. Crumble completely.

5. Mix with almost a whole tub of frosting (not quite all).

6. Form into 1-inch balls.

7. Refrigerate for a couple hours (or overnight).

8. Melt your candy melts (or chocolate coating) - whatever you decide on.

9. HERE IS THE TRICK step I added myself - Dip ball into candy coating BEFORE putting ball onto stick. The candy dries almost immediately and will stay on the stick that way. I lost many cake balls before figuring that one out. 10. Put cake ball on stick - push it through a little less than halfway. 11. Dip completely in candy coating - I actually spooned it on and spread. Whatever you decide, do it FAST. 12. Dip/Cover in sprinkles... .again, FAST. 13. Place in styrofoam board to complete drying process. 14. Optional: put in individual treat bags and tie them up all prettily. I just did it for some of them. Aren't they cute?!

I actually made these sugar cookies before the cake pops as backup in case they flopped.

Turns out, my husband was practically inhaling them, so I think they were pretty successful!