Love for Food

Sweet and Sassy Chicken Kabobs

For a while I bought Purdue ready to cook chicken. It was fast and easy. However, one pack (five servings) is about eight dollars. The chicken came pre-marinated and in individual serving pouches. I loved the convenience but wanted my own version that was a bit cheaper and more to my own taste.
I got this recipe from the Land O'Lakes website. As usual, I changed it around a bit. There is nothing better than a mix of sweet and savory and this dish fits the bill. If you don't have a grill (like me) you can make them on a grill pan or in a George Foreman. My favorite part is being able to make this on a Sunday night and have dinner almost ready on Monday when I'm beat after the gym. I served the kabobs over whole-wheat couscous, but they can also be served alone or with veggies (for a zero point option). Since it serves four, I also have leftovers for lunch the next day. To change things up a bit, I took the chicken, pineapple, and peppers off the skewer. I put everything on a whole wheat wrap with some baby greens and low-fat mayo.Ingredients: Serves Four
1/3 cup lemon juice1/4 cup butter, melted (I used I can't Believe it's Not Butter)
1/4 cup soy sauce2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar (I used 1 tablespoon of Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/4 teaspoon pepper3 tablespoons ketchup1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
1 lb. chicken breast cut into bite size cubes
1 small green pepper cut into bite size cubes
1 cup pineapple cut into cubes
Method:

  • Combine all marinade ingredients in large resealable plastic food bag. Reserve 2 tablespoons marinade; set aside. Add chicken pieces. Tightly seal bag. Turn bag several times to coat chicken well. Refrigerate, turning occasionally, at least 2 hours or overnight.
  • Heat 1 side of gas grill on medium or charcoal grill until coals are ash white. Remove chicken from marinade with slotted spoon; discard marinade.
  • To assemble kabobs, alternately thread chicken, pineapple, tomatoes, green pepper and zucchini onto skewers.
  • Place kabobs onto grill. Grill, turning and brushing occasionally with reserved marinade, until chicken reaches at least 170°F. or until juices run clear when pierced with fork (15 to 20 minutes).
Cost: $6.00 total or $1.50 per servingTime: 20 minutes active, 2 hours 20 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 195.7Total Fat 1.8 gSaturated Fat 0.4 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.5 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.4 gCholesterol 65.7 mgSodium 140.1 mgPotassium 485.5 mgTotal Carbohydrate 18.5 gDietary Fiber 1.3 gSugars 14.1 gProtein 27.0 gWeight Watcher Points: 4 per serving