Love for Food

Manhattan Fish Chowder

After a long day of work and class, I plopped into bed with the kitties and was looking for something fun to watch. I was not in the mood for Law and Order or any other heavy drama. Needless to say, there was nothing on t.v. I flipped to my old standby FoodNetwork/Cooking Channel and caught the end of one of Tyler Florence's shows. Usually I'm not into what he makes. It always seems to complicated. The reason why I stayed tuned was because he was looking very red and sweaty. I'm weird I know. I was wondering what could he be making that was so much work! He was making a fish soup with lobster, shrimp, and big pieces of cod. It looked amazing. I wanted to run up and lick the screen. Instead of trying out his version, I asked my dad for an easier recipe. This version of Manhattan Fish Chowder is great because it has enough protein to be filling but is very low in WW points. You can use any type of firm white fish. I used to tilapia because it happened to be on sale. If I were having people over I might even go with scallops, lobster, or shrimp. It's not too much work but is sure to impress. Ingredients: Serves Six 4 slices of turkey bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces 1 large onion finely chopped 2 medium carrots, halved lenght wise and thinly sliced crosswise (1 cup) 1 28oz can of plum tomatoes in juice 2 8oz bottles of clam juice 2 medium baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1 pound skinless tilapia fillets cut into 2 inch chunks salt/pepperMethod:

  • In a large pot cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat. Add onions and carrots cook until softened about 10 minutes.
  • Add tomatoes (with their juice), clam juice, and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
  • Add potatoes and thyme and simmer for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender but not falling apart.
  • Add fish and season with salt/pepper. Cook about three minutes. Serve immediately.
Cost: $10.00 total, $1.67 per serving Time: 25 minutes active, 25 minutes inactive Nutrition Facts:Amount Per Serving
Calories 177.4 Total Fat 4.0 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.8 gCholesterol 40.5 mg Sodium 413.8 mg Potassium 790.1 mg Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g Dietary Fiber 4.3 g Sugars 3.6 g Protein 19.9 g
Weight Watcher Points: 3 points per serving