Love for Food

Moroccan Dinner Party: L'hanraak Garagh (Moroccan Pumpkin Soup)

After I finally decided on a Moroccan dinner party theme, I started to research what I could have as a starter. Traditional Moroccan dinners can have up to fifty dishes! Each dish is served one at a time in a particular order, dependant on taste and texture. Since I can't make so many dishes, I decided on a few "tapas" for the starter. I also wanted a main appetizer superstar. I was thinking soup and I was thinking fall. When I saw this pumpkin soup, I had to try it. I love pumpkin soup and was very happy with the way my L'hanraak Garagh turned out. I found the recipe here, on Food.com. It offers a little something different when your tired of your old stand by. Serve with some warm ksra (Moroccan flat bread) or pita bread.Ingredients: Serves Eight
1 cup dried garbanzo beans3 tablespoons vegetable oil3 leeks, white and light green part only or 2 large onions8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth6 cups fresh pumpkin or 6 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded & diced or 4 cups canned pumpkin puree2 -4 tablespoons honey1 cinnamon sticks or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon1/8 teaspoon ground allspice or 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg or 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves1 teaspoon saltfresh ground pepperMethod:

  • Cover the chickpeas with water.
  • Cover and allow to soak overnight.
  • Drain.
  • Saute the leeks in the oil over medium heat until soft and translucent,approximately 5-10 minutes.
  • Add the broth, pumpkin cubes or puree, chickpeas, honey, spices and salt to the pan.
  • Cover and simmer until the chickpeas are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
  • If using the cinnamon stick, discard it.
  • If desired, transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
  • For Vegan option do not use honey. And for Vegetarian do not use Chicken broth.

Cost: $8.00total, $1.00 per servingTime: 25 minutes active, 1 1/2 hours inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 152.0Total Fat 6.8 gSaturated Fat 1.0 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.8 gMonounsaturated Fat 4.2 gCholesterol 0.0 mgSodium 1,922.8 mgPotassium 468.4 mgTotal Carbohydrate 19.9 gDietary Fiber 3.7 gSugars 5.2 gProtein 4.6 g

Weight Watcher Points: 3 points per serving