Love for Food

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

I have been unable to cook real meals lately due to so many great people bringing over dinner to our family, but that just means I have been able to bake sweet goodies like crazy!

Here is a recipe I've had for a while that isn't all that sweet but is in muffin form - and actually fairly healthy. I thought I'd use it since I had more unsweetened applesauce leftover from my Ribbon Pumpkin Bread earlier this week.

1 c. old fashion rolled oats 1 c. non-fat milk 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce 2 egg whites 1 c. whole wheat flour 1/2 c. brown sugar 1 t. baking powder 1/2 t. baking soda 1/2 t. salt 1 t. cinnamon 1 T. sugar Soak the oats in the milk for about an hour. Combine the oat mixture, applesauce and egg whites; mix until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Do NOT overmix. Spoon the mixture into a sprayed muffin tin and sprinkle the sugar on top of the muffins. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
They are quite heavy muffins and didn't end up being my favorite, but probably only because they weren't sweet enough hehe. For the same reason, Husband actually loved them. So bake a batch for yourself, slather a warm one with butter and let me know what you think!