Love for Food

Banana Pudding Pie

I am always on the look out for low calorie desserts. I can be good all day with watching what I eat, but "need" to have a little something sweet after dinner. My mom e-mailed me this recipe she found in Southern Living magazine. The woman whose recipe it was, Christy, claimed this recipe to launch a pie business. It was just that good. My mom had made it for her church friend and said it came out great.
What made me really want to try this dish was the meringue top. I have fond memories of driving to a bakery with my mom on Sunday afternoons. This bakery was the best in the area but a bit of a drive. I could pick one thing that I wanted as a special treat. I would always choose the lemon meringue tarts. I liked lemon, but my favorite part was the topping. There was something magical about the meringue peeks. The peeks reminded me of snowy mountains. When I saw that the topping was meringue I ran to make it.

This is a fun dish to make and to eat. I think the best part is that you don't feel like you are eating a diet dessert (but you are). Yum!
Ingredients: Severs Eight
Pudding
1 (12oz) package of low fat vanilla wafers
5 ripe bananas2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup Splenda
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 egg yolks
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Meringue
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar (do not sure Splenda)

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 325. Arrange one-third of vanilla wafers in a medium size ovenproof bowl, cover with one third of banana slices. Repeat layers twice with remaining vanilla wafers and bananas.
  • Whisk together milk and next four ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until pudding like thickness. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Pour over vanilla wafers and bananas in a bowl.
  • Beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add in sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks foam. Spread meringue over pudding, sealing to edge of bowl.
  • Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until golden. Cover and cool completely for about an hour.

Cost: $5.80 total .72 per serving
Time: 30 minutes active, 1 hour 45 minutes inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 162.9 (YAY!!!)
Total Fat 3.1 gSaturated Fat 0.8 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.7 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.8 gCholesterol 80.9 mgSodium 97.4 mgPotassium 378.6 mgTotal Carbohydrate 30.0 gDietary Fiber 1.6 gSugars 12.3 gProtein 5.8 g (YAY!!!)

Weight Watcher Points: 3 points per serving (YAY!!!)