Love for Food

Christmas Ham

My parents moved down to Florida a few years ago, and for the past few years I've been celebrating Christmas in Florida. Nothing against Florida but it never seemed like Christmas. The most festiveness I found was a palm tree decorated with lights. It's nothing compared to Christmas in New York City. This year everyone is coming to my tiny apartment for the holiday festivities. It's a bit daunting! Because of my type A personality, I wanted to do test runs of every recipe I am going to make. My menu consists of ham, brussel sprouts and scalloped potatoes. I like to do ham for Christmas since I am pretty turkey'ed out from Thanksgiving. I found this recipe in Food Network Magazine. It came out pretty good but a bit salty. My advice is to boil the ham first for about 30 minutes to get some of the salt out before baking it. I also skipped the apples part because I didn't have any. Also, since I was the only one who was going to be eating the ham I thought it would be WAY to many apples for just me. Other than the salt it was yummy. Next time I will try the apples. I'll let you all know how it comes out :) Does anyone have any other ideas for holiday main dishes? Ingredients: Serves Fourteen 1 15 pound smoked ham 3/4 cup apple butter 1/2 cup dijon mustard 1/4 cup light brown sugar 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 8 small apples, halved* (I skipped the apples) Method:

  • Preheat oven to 325. Score the ham with a paring knife though the skin and fat in a tight crosshatch pattern. Place the ham, fat side up in a large roasting pan. Bake 1 hour 30 minutes.
  • Whisk the apple butter, mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and cloves in a bowl until smooth. After 1 hour 30 minutes, brush the ham all over with some of the glaze and bake 20 more minutes. Add the apples to the pan cut side up and bake brushing the ham with more glaze every 20 minutes until the ham is crisp and tender about 1 hour and 30 minutes more. (Turn the apples cut side down last 20 minutes)
  • Transfer the ham to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes before carving. Serve with roasted apples.

Cost: $18.00 total/ $1.29 per serving Time: 30 minutes active, 3 hours inactive Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving Calories 123.1 Total Fat 3.2 gSaturated Fat 1.0 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.3 gMonounsaturated Fat 1.5 gCholesterol 28.6 mgSodium 920.4 mgPotassium 237.5 mgTotal Carbohydrate 11.2 gDietary Fiber 0.4 gSugars 9.2 gProtein 12.0 gWeight Watcher Points: 3 points per serving