Love for Food

Cilantro Scallion Hummus

I'm not sure why but when I started Weight Watchers, I started eating hummus by the loads. I think it has to do with the fact that it was a very filling, but low point snack. Since the arrival of my new food processor, I started to think about all the new things I could try. Hummus was one of the first things that came to mind.
Even though hummus is not that expensive, making it yourself is a lot cheaper. It also only takes a couple of minutes to make. Quicker to make than a trip to the store. The best part about making it yourself is you can make it to your taste. Since my favorite herb is cilantro, I added it in mine, but feel free to leave it out for plain hummus. I also add extra garlic. It packs a bit of a punch but also a lot of flavor. What are some of your favorite kinds of hummus?

Ingredients: Serves Ten (1/4 cup serving)
1/4 bunch cilantro1/4 cup tahini
1 lemon (juice of)
1 tsp salt
1 stalk scallion
1/4 cup water
1 (15oz) can chickpeas
2 tbs olive oil
1/8 tsp cumin2 cloves garlic

Method:

  • Drain the chickpeas. Combine all of the ingredients except the water in a food processor or blender. Starting with 1/4 cup of water, puree the ingredients and add more water as needed to keep the contents of the blender churning smoothly. Stop the blender and stir occasionally. The hummus is done when it is smooth and looks slightly whipped.
Cost: $2.25 total, .23 per servingTime: 10 minutes total
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 146.4Total Fat 6.8 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 gPolyunsaturated Fat 2.0 gMonounsaturated Fat 3.4 gCholesterol 0.0 mgSodium 222.2 mgPotassium 157.0 mgTotal Carbohydrate 18.0 gDietary Fiber 3.7 gSugars 0.1 gProtein 4.6 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 4