Love for Food

Banana Bread

I decided to make banana bread when after an enthusiastic trip to the store last week. I decided to load up on fruits and veggies. After all, I eat what I have in the house. If I have a lot of fruit than I will eat it. Or so I thought. Three days later I had a lot of bananas that were going bad. Time to make banana bread! I tried this recipe out of the new WW book. It's a bit of a deception because while it's low in points you are only allowed a measly 1/18th of a loaf. But on the other hand, it was probably the best banana bread I ever made. I give credit to the buttermilk. Nice and moist. Just the right amount of sweet. Real butter also doesn't hurt. While it's not really diet friendly, since you will end up eating a few servings at once, I had to post it. It's very yummy, and great after a long day with a cup of Earl Grey.
Ingredients: Serves 18
1 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans toasted and chopped

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 350 spray 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray.
  • Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt set aside.
  • Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Reduce speed (if using mixer) add flour mixture until just combined. Stir in all but two tablespoons of pecans.
  • Pour batter into pan, top with remaining pecans. Bake for about 5o minutes (till knife comes out clean).

Cost: $3.00 total, .17 per servingTime: 20 minutes active, 50 minutes inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 121.9
Total Fat 6.5 gSaturated Fat 2.5 gPolyunsaturated Fat 1.0 gMonounsaturated Fat 2.5 gCholesterol 29.3 mgSodium 38.0 mgPotassium 117.9 mgTotal Carbohydrate 14.4 gDietary Fiber 1.6 gSugars 2.9 gProtein 2.8 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 4 points per 1/18th of the loaf