Love for Food

Bacon Onion Quiche

Quiche is one of those things everyone should know how to make. I decided to give it a go last weekend to have something that could be a light dinner or a yummy brunch. I didn't go diet on this one. Mainly because I wanted to share it and wanted it to taste the best it could. Also, I had a left over carton of heavy cream that I needed to use up. When I did my calculations I found that the calories were not too bad. It did come out to be a bit high in fat but nothing too crazy. I ate mine for dinner with a salad. Enjoy!
PS I have to admit, the thought of cheating and just buying a quiche crossed my mind. But I checked on Fresh Direct and a quiche costs $13.00 (more than double what I spent) bucks! So I went back to plan A and decided to make it myself.
Ingredients: Serves Six
5 eggs
1/2 onion thinly sliced
4oz shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend)
5 strips cooked and chopped turkey bacon (or bacon)
1 cup heavy cream/milk/half and half/FF milk
1/8 teaspoon (pinch) nutmeg
salt/pepper
1 pie crust

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Bake empty crust in oven for 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan and cook onions on med-low until caramelized. Combine the onions with bacon.
  • Combine eggs, salt/pepper, nutmeg and heavy cream.
  • Place a layer of cheese in the cooled pie crust.
  • Pour the egg mixture over the cheese.
  • Place the bacon/onions over the egg mixture. (It will dispenser during cooking)
  • Bake for 45-55 minutes. Until egg is set and crust is golden brown.
Cost: $6.00 total, $1.00 per servingTime: 20 minutes active, 55 minutes inactive.

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 283.0Total Fat 19.7 gSaturated Fat 8.0 gPolyunsaturated Fat 1.9 gMonounsaturated Fat 6.3 gCholesterol 185.8 mgSodium 394.0 mgPotassium 175.7 mgTotal Carbohydrate 14.8 gDietary Fiber 0.7 gSugars 2.1 gProtein 11.3 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 8 points per serving