Love for Food

Black Bean Hummus

I find that sandwiches are a quick and easy thing to make and eat when I have my internship. On a crowded bus they aren't too hard to eat. After a few weeks, my PB&J's were starting to bore me. I did tuna, chicken, and egg salads. I got all kinds of lunch meats. Yawn!

I saw this recipe in my Cooking Light magazine and thought it might be a little something different than a regular hummus sandwhich. I'm not a huge black bean lover, but was glad I gave this a try. It taste a lot like traditional hummus. Yet it has a little something special to it. I ate mine on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomatoes. Yummy and healthy. This would also be something great to make for a pot luck party, served with pita chips or veggies. Best of all it's cheap and easy.
*The traditional serving size is 2tbs (with chips or veggies), I calculated things at 1/4 cup the amount used for a sandwich.
Ingredients: Serves Four (1/4 cup per serving)
1 garlic clove, peeled

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoon tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small jalapeño pepper, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water (add as needed for texture)
1/4 cup chopped cliantro

Method:

  • Place garlic in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add rest of ingredients; process until smooth.
Cost: $2.25 total, .56 per servingTime: 10 minutes active
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 226.4Total Fat 8.3 gSaturated Fat 1.2 gPolyunsaturated Fat 2.4 gMonounsaturated Fat 4.3 gCholesterol 0.0 mgSodium 594.2 mgPotassium 461.2 mgTotal Carbohydrate 29.1 gDietary Fiber 10.2 gSugars 0.3 gProtein 11.2 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 6 per serving