Love for Food

Chicken Sausage Salad w/ Lentils and Green Apple

I recently became a magazine junkie. I now subscibe to about 15 different ones. I blame my ADHD. I can't seem to focus on TV, or just sit on the subway. (Perhaps, we can blame bad TV.) I found this is this month's Ftiness Magazine. Since I eat everything that is in this salad but never togehter, I wanted to give it a try. I loved the result. Tasty, healthy, and hearty. I didn't feel hungry after eating it for dinner.
Making the salad was a lot of work, and took me a long time. All that chopping and different steps, made me grouchy after a long day at the office and gym. Next time, I'll make this salad on a weekend. Keep all of the components separate and add them together when you are ready to eat.
Ingredients: Serves Four
4 cups water
1 cup French lentils
2 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus pinch
1 red onion, diced
3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Black pepper
4 low-fat chicken sausages
1 bunch watercress, coarse stems removed (I used argula)1 small Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced thinly
Method:

  • Bring the water to a boil. Add the lentils, and garlic to the boiling water and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the salt, cover and cook until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
  • Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss 2 tablespoons of the diced onion with 2 teaspoons each of the vinegar and oil. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
  • Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion and the carrot and celery to skillet. Sauté the vegetables until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add vegetables to lentils; toss with 3 tablespoons vinegar, 2 teaspoons oil and the mustard; season with remaining salt and the black pepper to taste.
  • In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook, turning, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice on the diagonal.
  • Add the watercress and apple to the dressed red onion; toss well. To serve, make a bed of lentils on each plate. Top with watercress-apple salad and sausage.

Cost: $10.50 total/ $2.62 per serving * I used fancy Chicken Sausage from Gourmet Garage which were pricey but very tasty. Trader Joe's has them for a few dollars cheaper (but not as yummy in my opinion).Time: 25 minutes active, 30 minutes inactive
Nutrtion Facts: Amount Per Serving
427 calories
25g protein
46g carbohydrate
15g fat (3g saturated)
17g fiber

Weight Watchers Points +: 10 points per serving