Love for Food

Thai Chickpea Soup

This is the year of the soups for me. Every week I make a different soup and freeze half and eat the other half. It's the only thing I can think of eating when I come home from Riker's. They are fast and healthy and not too bad in calories. I need something warm and soothing in the tummy. I got this recipe from my new Alice's Tea Cup cookbook. When I saw it I knew I had to make it. I love spicy, Thai food, and chickpeas. It's pretty tasty and offers a little something different than my normal soup repertoire. The spice helps clear up any nasal congestion. Give it a try and let me know what you think! Ingredients: Serves Eight 2 tbs unsalted butter 1/4 cup minced jalapeno pepper 1/2 cup chopped celery 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion 8 cups stock/chicken broth 1 13.5 oz can light coconut milk 1 12.5 oz can crushed tomatoes 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice 2 13.5 oz can chickpeas drained salt/pepper Method:

  • Heat butter in a medium pan over low heat. Add jalapenos, celery, and onions and saute for about five minutes.
  • Combine veggies, with stock, coconut milk, tomatoes, and lime juice in a large pot and cook for 45 minutes.
  • Add the chickpeas and cook for five more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cost: $8.35 total, $1.04 per serving Time: 15 minutes active, 45 minutes inactive Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving Calories 214.6Total Fat 12.0 gSaturated Fat 9.4 gPolyunsaturated Fat 1.3 gMonounsaturated Fat 2.6 gCholesterol 12.8 mgSodium 1,237.5 mgPotassium 678.7 mgTotal Carbohydrate 22.9 gDietary Fiber 4.1 gSugars 1.0 gProtein 6.3 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 6 points per serving