Love for Food

Lentil Black Bean WW Chili

I stumbled across this recipe when I was bored during work and surfing the internet. I found it on the WW website. I love lentils and eat them a lot but have been getting sick of salads and soups. I also eat quite a bit of chili so this was only a natural progression. I switched it up a bit to suite my tastes. I added more tomatoes since it was a bit too thick. Fast, cheap, easy and healthy! Taste is pretty good. Not the best chili I ever ate (I rather eat my turkey pumpkin chili), but this works well for lunches at work. The lentil and bean combo is just as filling as if it had meat in it.
Ingredients: Serves Eight
1 1/2 cup(s) dry lentils, French-variety, picked over for debris
1 Tbsp olive oil1 large onion(s), diced2 Tbsp minced garlic3 Tbsp chili powder1/2 tsp cayenne pepper1 tsp kosher salt29 oz canned tomatoes whole (break up in pan)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes31 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained1/2 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped
Method:

  • Place lentils in a large sauce pan and cover with water by several inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender but retain a little bite, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.
  • Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring often, until they are softened, about 10 minutes.
  • In a cup, combine chili powder, cumin, cayenne and salt; add to skillet and stir well to combine. Cook, stirring often, about 1 minute.
  • Add tomatoes and their juice, and beans to skillet; stir well to combine. Cover skillet and simmer so flavors can blend, about 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in lentils and cilantro; serve.
Cost: $5.80 total, $.73 per servingTime: 15 minutes active, 25 mintues inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 211.0
Total Fat 2.9 gSaturated Fat 0.5 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.7 gMonounsaturated Fat 1.4 gCholesterol 0.0 mgSodium 925.4 mgPotassium 690.2 mgTotal Carbohydrate 36.7 gDietary Fiber 11.7 gSugars 0.2 gProtein 12.6 gWeight Watcher Points +: 6 points per one cup serving