Love for Food

Mango Ginger Curry Soup with Shrimp (COLD)

Last year I really got into making gazpacho. For many years the idea of cold tomato soup sounded disgusting. After all, V-8 is gross! It's basically just cold pasta sauce right? I tried some at Gourmet Garage and I was hooked. I loved how refreshing it was on a hot summer's day. And of course I had to figure out how to make it. My favorite was my tropical gazpacho. Sweet, salty, and spicy.
So when I saw this recipe for Mango Ginger Curry Soup in Self Magazine I jumped to try it. The magazine's claim that "A bowl of this succulent soup can help you burn up to 30 percent more fat during a later workout, courtesy of the vitamin C in subtly sweet mangoes." didn't hurt either. I love how you have the spice from the ginger, savory from the curry, sweet from the mangoes, and cream from the coconut milk. It hits all of the senses. A great alternative to your summer gazpacho and a fun addition to your Memorial Day BBQ!
Ingredients: Serves Four
2 ripe mangoes (about 1lb each) peeled and cubed
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/2 tsp curry powder (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp salt
1 can (13.6oz) light coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut water
1 cup cooked and diced shrimp
3 1/2 tbs. fresh lime juice
3 tbs chopped cilantro

Method:

  • Pulse mangoes, shallots, garlic, ginger, curry powder and salt in a food processor.
  • Add coconut milk pulse until combined.
  • Transfer to a bowl and chill for about an hour.
  • Divide among four bowls, garnish with shrimp and cilantro before serving.

Cost: $10.00 total, $2.50 per servingTime: 20 minutes active
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
239 calories
6g fat
5g saturated fat
44 carbs
4g fiber
9g protein

Weight Watcher Points +: 7 points per serving based on Self's nutrition facts. I did not re-calculate without the mango which are zero points.