Love for Food

American BBQ Sauce

Happy 4th of July! Summer is officially here! This past week my focus has been on eating unprocessed food. I hated the idea of eating all sorts of things that I did not know what they were or how to pronounce them. The "healthy" bread I buy had over 25 ingredients, most of which I had no idea what they were. I began to think about this because July 1 marked the official second half of the year. Time to re-evaluate those New Year's resolutions.
After a few weeks of not feeling particularly motivated, I found this recipe in Star Magazine. Such a trashy magazine, that I never buy. I found the magazine on the bus to Riker's, and picked it up to keep me entertained on the 30 plus minute bus ride. I was excited that I saw this recipe for BBQ sauce. It's so easy. All the ingredients I already I have on hand and did not have to buy anything. OK, so I know it's not completely unprocessed with the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce but it comes closer than the store bought. It also depends on what brand of ketchup you buy. I had Heinz. Cheaper, faster, and healthier than picking up some at the local supermarket :) I had mine rubbed over chicken. I did a Google search and found out most people used Italian dressing to marinate. I marinated in oil, vinegar, and poultry seasoning. I grilled in the grill pan, for a few minutes each side. I than brushed on the BBQ sauce. Flipped them over, brushed more sauce, flipped and plated. Viola! If you taste the sauce and think it's sweet - it is. Personally I just brushed on a bit. You get a lot of flavor without a lot of sweet.

Ingredients: Serves Eight?(makes one cup)*
1 cup ketchup
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. amber maple syrup
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce2 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
2 tbsp. black pepper

Method:

  • Place a small sauce pot over medium heat, add all ingredients to the pot.
  • Once the pot starts to steam, reduce heat to medium low and let cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened and flavors are combined.

Cost: $.70 total, $.9 per serving!!
Time: 5 minutes active, 20 minutes inactive*I used a tiny bit to brush on each side of my chicken and made serving for four and still have a ton of sauce left. I estimated eight servings but it depends on how saucy you like it!

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 71.8Total Fat 0.2 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.1 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.0 gCholesterol 0.0 mgSodium 328.7 mgPotassium 53.7 mgTotal Carbohydrate 18.7 gDietary Fiber 0.6 gSugars 15.1 gProtein 0.3 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 2 points per serving