Love for Food

Buttermilk Lemon Sorbet

For the past few weeks, I have been buying a lot of bananas. They are cheap and an easy way to get in some fruit. This week I was sick of eating them, and ended up with quite a few over ripe ones. I decided to make my banana bread. The banana bread recipe calls for 1/2 a cup of buttermilk. Needless to say I had a lot left over from my quart. I flipped thought my WW cookbook and found a recipe for this sorbet. It was meant to be eaten with grilled fruit. I found the fruit did not add anything to the dish. It was easy to make but does take quite a long time to chill. The result was fresh from the lemon and tasted like a lemon Pinkberry (If they had such a flavor). Perfect for summer and only four points per serving! Ingredients:
3/4 cups sugar1/2 cup water
2 cups low fat buttermilk
1 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
pinch salt

Method:

  • Combine sugar, water in a sauce pan over medium high heat cook till sugar is dissolved. Chill.
  • Whisk together chilled sugar mixture, buttermilk, yogurt, lemon zest and juice and salt. Pour mixture into ice cream maker.
Cost: $3.00 total, $.38 per servingTime: 5 minutes active, 4 hours inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
132 Calories
4g Fat
114mg Sodium
23g Carbs
22g Sugar
1g Fiber
5g Prot.

Weight Watcher Points +: 4 points per serving