Love for Food

Curried Chick Peas with Veggies

If you follow my blog you know for the past few weeks I have been trying to eat less meat. I believe meat is healthy for you but in moderation. It has been a struggle for me to make main dishes that have enough protein and are satisfying. Without meat I feel like I am just eating the condiments or garnish. I feel like I am missing something. My mom sent me this dish to try. She has made it and loved it. It's kinda like a chick pea veggie stew. I had mine with brown rice. While not as filling as a burger, this meal sat well in my stomach. I didn't end up with that heavy feeling I sometimes get after dinner.
Ingredients: Serves Six

2 teaspoons vegetable oil 1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 small zucchini 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 head fennel
I cup sugar snap peas 4 stalks celery
1/2 cup water
1 (16 ounce) can salt-free stewed tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Method:

  • Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic.
  • Sprinkle with curry powder, cumin, and Cayenne. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of water as necessary, about a tablespoon at a time, to prevent sticking.
  • Add cauliflower and water to skillet. When water boils, reduce heat to medium-low, cover skillet and simmer 5 minutes or until cauliflower is tender crisp.
  • Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.

Cost: $9.50 total, $1.58 per serving
Time: 10 minutes active, 25 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving

Calories 226.4Total Fat 5.1 g Saturated Fat 0.4 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g Monounsaturated Fat 1.9 g Cholesterol 0.0 mg Sodium 75.5 mg Potassium 717.8 mgTotal Carbohydrate 38.7 g Dietary Fiber 11.1 g Sugars 1.2 g Protein 9.9 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 3 points per serving