Love for Food

La Birreria: Review

Last year I went to Eataly (200 Fifth Avenue, NYC) to check out Mario Bitali's huge new Italian food mecca. I hate to say it but I haven't been back since. It's soo crowded and over priced! The food is great but it can be a hassle. It's also a bit of a seen and be seen place, not necessarily so much about the food. Last weekend, I decided to take a trip there once again to check out La Birreria. La Bierreria is the beer garden that just opened up on the roof of Eataly.

New York is short for places to hang out and sit outside. Being lazy, I haven't been to either beer garden in Astoria this year. Just such a trek, especially on the way back. I figured since it was past 10pm and it was the Sunday before the 4th of July things would be quiet and to try La Bierreria. I was wrong. When you approach the desk inside of Eataly you give the hostess you cell phone number. When a table is ready you will get a text message. Long gone are the days of getting vibrating pagers from places like the Cheesecake Factory. One plus is that during your wait you can shop at Eataly, have a drink at one of the bars or some coffee. 45 minutes later I got a text message that our table was ready.

You can have a drink at one of the many places in Eataly while waiting for you table at La Bierreria.

You ride up an escalator to top of the building and when you get out you see a large mass of people. OK, what more do I expect from New York? It was nice to be outside, but you don't get a real outside feeling since all you see are people. There is not much of a view for whatever reason.

I already had a blue cheese burger for dinner and was full. So, I did not partake on a wide range of food. But I had to order something. I decided to order a kale salad my new favorite, after I made it for the first time last year. The salad description was all fancy sounding but what I ended up with was a kale based salad with Cesar dressing and grapefruit. The grapefruit was a little weird, an attempt to make it fancy perhaps. The salad was very good, the Cesar dressing was top notch.The beer selection is OK they are craft beers so you kinda have to close your eyes pick and hope it's good. The beer was tasty but not cheap. A small glass, not even a pint was about 10 bucks.

Overall, La Birreria is a fun place to go. I don't think I really consider it a "beer garden". It seems this year many impostors have spouted up around the city. A few tables outside does not a beer garden make. The food is great but at a price. If your looking for a trendy place to get some quality but overpriced food La Birreria is for you.