Love for Food

Spicy Tofu with Peas

A while back my uncle gave me a Williams-Sonoma cookbook - FoodMadeFast: Asian. It sat on my shelf for about two years. I didn't know what I wanted to make this week but was feeling pretty lazy. The fast part was very appealing and I skimmed the book. I decided to make this dish because I already had all of the ingredients on hand. I try to eat vegetarian a few days a week to give my digestion a break from meat. It can be hard to come across easy recipes and was excited to give this one a try. I heated it up at work and many of my non healthy McDonald's loving co-workers were willing to give it a try. Tasty! The only thing that I did not love about this dish was that it did not keep me full very long. After a few hours I needed a snack. I ate it for an early dinner one night and felt my tummy growl before bedtime. I might add some additional protein to keep at hunger at bay; perhaps some steamed shrimp. Overall, yummy and healthy!

Ingredients: Serves Four
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons Sriacha hot sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2lb firm tofu, cut into bite sized cubes
1 cup frozen peas
steamed rice, for serving

Method:

  • In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup water, oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriacha sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and cornstarch and still to dissolve.
  • Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat, add oil. Add ginger and garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium and add the sauce, add the tofu. Stir fry gently until the sauce thickens about one minute.
  • Add the peas and cook until heated through.
  • Serve with rice.
Cost: $6.50 total, $1.63 per serving
Time: 20 minutes total

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving

Calories 199.6 Total Fat 7.9 g Saturated Fat 1.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.8 g Monounsaturated Fat 3.3 g Cholesterol 0.0 mg Sodium 238.8 mg Potassium 439.3 mg Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g Dietary Fiber 1.8 g Sugars 7.2 g Protein 18.9 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 5 points per serving