Love for Food

Linguine With Tuna "Puttanesca"

I love my Food Network Magazine. For a long time I was cutting out recipes I liked and filed it away. I have to admit I never looked at any of them ever again. A few weeks ago, I caught sight of the Food Network Magazine Cookbook. All of the recipes in one place. I found it online and got a great deal. This weekend I had some extra time and decided to try a dish out. I was craving pasta and decided on this dish because I got some fancy tuna at Fairway. I'm not sure what's going on with tuna but prices on tuna are getting out of control. $2.50 for a can of Bumble Bee? Fairway had some fancy Genno tuna on sale for $1.50. Only .20 cents more than the Bumble Bee on sale, so I got a few cans. I have to admit it is worth the extra cash. Back to the puttanesca... I kept eating the pasta out of the tupper wear I put it in for the week. Yum! Salty but not too salty. I hate olives so I skipped them. Yep, I know that's the whole point to the puttanesca. I feel that you still get that puttanesca taste without it. I just added more capers.

On side note did you know that puttanesca originated in Italy as a hooker dish? Prostitutes made it since it was cheap, fast and easy, to eat between John's. Odd but true. It was soo good, even without the olives. Those girls were on to something. Enjoy!

Ingredients: Serves Four
salt and pepper
12 oz of pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons capers
1/2 cup chopped olives
1 28 oz can San Marazano plum tomatoes
4 basil leaves torn
1 5 oz can tuna in oil

Method:

  • Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until just under al dente.
  • Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper cook, for about one minute.
  • Add capers and olives and fry two minutes. Crush the tomatoes into the skillet with your hands and reserve the juices. Cook about two minutes. Add the reserved tomato juice, basil, and salt, and cook for about two more minutes.
  • Add the tuna with its oil, breaking it up.
  • Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water, and return it to the pot. Add the sauce and the cooking water and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
Cost: $8.00 total, $2.00 per serving
Time: 30 minutes total

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
524 Calories
16g Fat
6mg Cholesterol
641mg Sodium
73 Carbohydrate
7g Fiber
24g Protein

Weight Watcher Points +: 14 points per serving