Love for Food

Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Muffins

In my effort to get more fruits, I've been buying a lot to have around when a sugar craving hits. My biggest problem with fresh fruits and veggies is that living alone a lot of times the stuff ends up going bad. Banana's are tricky. I always get a bunch because it's a good deal at only $1.80. I end up with six or seven bananas all ripe at the same time. A day or two later, I usually have to chuck them. I felt bad looking at the two leftover bananas this week and decided to make muffins. Muffins are nice because they are grab and go and also portion controlled. I picked a random recipe online from a blog called Make Healthier. I liked how it only had a few ingredients. All of which I had on hand. I looked at some other recipes, but some recipes had several sticks of butter, and tons of sugar! That's more like a cupcake to me!

I was happy with the results. These muffins were moist and had a great banana nut flavor. The nuts do add a lot of fat and some extra WW points. I also did calculations without nuts. Nuts are healthy and tasty. I recommend you leave them in. Good brain food :) Best part was how quick and easy these came together. While my dinner was cooking I was able to whip these up.

Ingredients: Serves 8
1 cup whole wheat flour1/3 cup sugar1/2 tsp baking powder1/4 tsp salt2 bananas1/4 cup milk (I used 1%)1 egg1/2 tsp vanilla1/2 cup walnuts

Method:

  • Combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl put in the bananas and cut in to small pieces with a fork. Smash the bananas with your fork so that it mostly mashed but with some small chunks of bananas.
  • Add in the egg, vanilla, and milk to the banana mixture.
  • Combine the dry and wet ingredients and also the walnuts. Mix briefly then pour into a nonstick muffin pan.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes. Makes 7 or 8 muffins.

Cost: $2.25 total, .28 per servingTime:10 minutes active, 30 minutes inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
With NutsCalories 178.1Total Fat 6.0 gTotal Carbohydrate 28.5 gDietary Fiber 1.6 gProtein 4.1 gWithout Nuts Calories 128.1 Total Fat 1.0 g Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g Dietary Fiber 1.1 g Protein 2.9 gWeight Watcher Points +: 5 with nuts, 3 without nuts