Love for Food

Garlic Scape Pesto

This past week marks the return of the farmer's market. While it run years round in Brooklyn, in January the only stalls are honey and bread. Peak produce season in New York starts about July though August. This week I set my eyes on something that looked a lot like scallions, but which were very curly. I did my research when I came home and found out that it was garlic scapes. Garlic scapes are the top part of the garlic plant that is cut off early on to not absorb the flavor and energy from the garlic bulb. I love love love garlic so I bought some the next time I saw them. They are only available for a couple of weeks in June. If you see them get them while you can!

Pesto came up as one of the most popular ways to use the garlic scapes and since pesto is very quick and easy I decided to try it. I used a recipe that used almonds instead of pine nuts. While only pine nuts can really make a pesto a pesto, I had almonds on hand. Pine nuts are also super expensive. The pesto came out very good. It has a STRONG, PUNGENT, garlic flavor and smell so watch out if you are not a garlic lover. It was soo strong that my roommate said she could smell garlic from across the kitchen! It was great on pasta. The leftovers made a killer garlic bread the next day. I am looking forward to all of the new adventures this years farmer's market will bring :)

*Recipe adapted from the blog In the Kitchen and on the Road with Dori

Ingredients: Makes about one cup, or 8 2 tablespoon servings

10 garlic scapes, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (to taste and texture)
1/3 cup slivered almonds
About 1/2 cup olive oil
Sea salt

Method:

  • Put the scapes, 1/3 cup of the cheese, almonds and half the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor (or use a blender or a mortar and pestle).
  • Whir to chop and blend all the ingredients and then add the remainder of the oil and, if you want, more cheese. If you like the texture, stop; if you'd like it a little thinner, add some more oil. Season with salt.
Cost: $4.50 total, .56 per serving
Time: 10 minutes active

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 175.2
Total Fat 17.5 g
Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
Protein 3.7 g

Weight Watcher Points +: 5 points per serving