Love for Food

Quick Pickled Dilly Green Beans

I've been seeing a lot about pickling these days in my food magazines. When I found a recipe in Cooking Light for a quick version of pickled green beans, I knew I had to try it. I love pickles but usually don't buy them since they are high in sodium and are a bit pricey for what you get. The pickling spice did cost me $5 bucks. However, I still have a lot left for future pickling adventures. The rest of the ingredients I had on had making this very economical. These beans come together in about five minutes and only take two hours to pickle. (Some recipes require ten days for the veggies to pickle). The results were impressive, they taste just like store bought pickles. Homemade pickles would be a fun thing to bring to the next pot luck or BBQ. I can't wait to try to pickle other veggies, next up squash!Ingredients: Serves 12 (about 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1/2 pound green beans trimmed
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pickling spice
1 garlic clove, peeled

Method:

  • Combine dill and green beans in a medium bowl.
  • Combine vinegar and the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to boil and cook for one minute until sugar and salt has dissolved.
  • Pour over bean mixture, let sit for two hours.


Cost: $3.00 total, .25 per serving
Time: 10 minutes active, 2 hours inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
6 Calories
0 Fat
0g Protein
1.4g Carb
.7g Fiber

Weight Watcher Points +: 0 points per serving