Love for Food

Habanero Hot Sauce

If you know me you know how much I love hot sauce. As the old lady says, "I put that s*** on everything!". It recently dawned on me to attempt to make my own. I buy lots of different types such as Sriacha, sambal oelek, Franks, and Tabasco. But sometimes nothing is exactly the way you want it. Usually it's not hot enough for me. The only way to do that is to make it yourself. When looking at hot sauce bottles I found most if not all were just spices, peppers and vinegar, which seemed easy enough. And it is. For about ten minutes of work you can have a ton of hot sauce, just the way you like it. I made mine super hot using 15 peppers, but it's WAY HOT!!! Scale down according to your tolerance. And at only $1.50 per batch it can't be beat!
Ingredients: 48 1 tsp. servings (1 8oz jar)
12 whole habanero peppers (stems removed)
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 cup vinegar
1 small tomato, cut in half
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon turmeric
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
oil

Method:

  • Place the peppers, tomato, and onion on a cookie sheet, toss with a little oil and roast for about 15 minutes on 450.
  • When the peppers, tomato, and onion are ready remove from the oven and blend with the remaining ingredients.

Cost: $1.50 total, .3 per serving
Time: 10 minutes active, 15 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving

Calories 7.3
Fat .3
Carbohydrates 1.2
Fiber .2
Protein .1

Weight Watcher Points +: 0 points

*Recipe adapted from the blog My Own Ideas.