Love for Food

Red Lentil Coconut Soup

I love red lentil soup!! Very easy and fast to make. It's also cheap, healthy, and filling. Since I eat soo much of it, I started to get bored of my usual way of making it. I found this recipe and thought it was made just for me. Coconut, lentils, curry, ginger... .everything I love to eat! If you are looking to kick (your lentil soup) it up a notch give this a try. I added a habanero pepper which was the perfect addition to the sweetness of the coconut milk and cinnamon. It was delish!

*Adapted from the blog Scaling back.

Ingredients: Serves Six
2 cups red lentils
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/3 cup tomato paste
7 cups water
1 150z can chickpeas
1 can light unsweetened coconut milk
juice of one lime
cilantro for serving
Method:

  • Heat medium sized pan with cooking spray and cook onions for about five minutes. Add garlic, ginger, tomato paste, spices, and jalapeno and cook for a couple more minutes.
  • Add the water, coconut milk, lentils, and chickpeas and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes on a low simmer.
  • Add the lime juice, adjust the spices/salt.
  • Serve garnished with cilantro.

Cost: $4.50 total, .75 per serving
Time: 40 minutes active
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 238.9
Total Fat 2.8 g
Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
Protein 13.0 g
Weight Watcher Plus +: 6 points per serving