Love for Food

Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup

If you follow my blog you know how much I love red lentils. I've made Red Lentil Coconut Soup and various other types throughout the year. and never get tired of them. As much as I love them, I am always looking for a new idea on how to make them. I decided to try a recipe from the Verses from my Kitchen blog and was glad I did. The addition of thyme really adds a new flavor profile to a traditional lentil soup. Since it is soo veggie packed and is a thick soup, it's very filling. I was pleased when I calculated the points and found it only to be four points per serving! Great for the blustery fall weather.

*Recipe adapted from the blog Verses from my Kitchen.

Ingredients: Serves Six (about 1 1/2 cups per serving)

olive oil spray
1 leek, cut in half, washed and roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 bay leaf
small handful of thyme sprigs
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. kosher salt & cracked pepper

Method:

  • In a large saucepan heat the butter and oil until the butter froths up a bit. Add in the leeks, garlic, carrots, celery and cook for 5 minutes, or until just softened.
  • Add in the sweet potato, and stir and cook for a further 5 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock and water, red lentils, cumin, bay leaf and thyme and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Let simmer for 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables have softened. At the moment the vegetables have softened, remove from the heat immediately.

Cost: $7.25 total, $1.20
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
164.4 Calories
2.3g Fat
27g Carbs
6g Fiber
9.8g Protein

Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4 points per serving