Love for Food

Naturally Smoked Trout

Smoked fish over a bed of greens is one of my favorite light and healthy meals. I highly recommend this naturally smoked trout from Ducktrap River of Maine which you can find at Trader Joe's (about 4 servings for $6.50). I like that the fish is fresh and moist and doesn't contain any chemical preservatives or artificial ingredients.
You can assemble this meal in a matter of minutes. Create a salad with your favorite greens and vegetables and toss with a light vinaigrette. I used Bibb lettuce, shredded carrots, celery, cucumber and a little green onion. I like to top the smoked fish with a little lemon juice and a mixture of 2% plain greek yogurt (healthier than sour cream) and plain (not creamed) horseradish. On the side, I enjoyed some flat bread and hummus (yes, also from Trader Joe's).

Other tasty ideas for this salad:
- capers
- thinly sliced granny smith apple
- sliced roasted or pickled beets
- thinly sliced radish
- vinaigrette-marinated green beans
- fresh dill