Love for Food

Fluffy Thoughts Cakes

Recently, by chance encounter, I discovered something out of this world. A bacon cupcake with maple frosting. Intriguing right? Edgy, daring? Yet until you try it, you have no idea how delicious. Just... oh... incredible! Each bite feels almost criminal. Savory bacon, smooth perfect frosting... and slices of apple baked into the moist vanilla cake. How did I get so lucky?

Well, while running errands in McLean, VA, I stumbled upon Fluffy Thoughts Cakes after following a trail of overheard conversation with the irresistible phrase... "cupcake samples".
To my delight, the cupcakes were housed in a beautiful pastel colored shop with a sweetly decorated tasting room whose modern table setting with clear louis ghost chairs deserves high marks for style. As I entered, several friendly women behind the counter greeted me and offered me samples of mini of red velvet cupcakes and mini banana cupcakes with caramel frosting. Heavenly!

I then made selections from the pristine bakery display case that houses a wide assortment of tempting cupcakes and treats including vegan options. Besides the bacon cupcake I also recommend the lemon meringue cookie (pictured above). Fluffy Thoughts serves two other flavors, mint and raspberry which I must go back to try but I can attest that the lemon is fantastic - a soft custard and meringue center reminiscent of lemon meringue pie sandwiched by a crisp meringue cookie. I also oreded from the drink menu, and fresh espresso in hand, I admired the gorgeous wedding and occasion cakes on display.

Cake creation is clearly a joy and natural talent for Lara Stuckey, the shop's owner and head designer. Lara has an interesting background - with a degree in Psychology and Fine Arts and a Masters in Counseling Psychology, a love of baking since childhood, time spent working at Cakelove, and study with world-renowned cake designer Collette Peters in New York City. Too see examples of Lara's cake designs, whether you've got an occasion in mind or just appreciate confectionery artistry, I urge you to visit her website. A visit to Fluffy Thoughts in McLean for a cupcake or two, or three, is also a must!