Love for Food

Himalayan Red Rice Salad

I called this Himalayan Red Rice Salad but I could have easily called it throw leftovers together salad. I had this rice in my pantry for a while and I wanted to use it. I had tons of Tandoori Chicken to use up. I started thinking. It's finals time and I needed something I could take with me (to school) and eat without any heating or cutting up. I also wanted something that would be some what healthy and provide me with energy.

My mom use to make a white rice tuna salad. She made it by combining leftover rice, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and tuna. That tuna rice salad was what I had in mind when I thought of making this. I used up all of my leftovers from the fridge. You can substitute whatever veggies/acid/rice/protein you have.

Himalayan red rice has a nutty, earthy flavor and is somewhat similar to brown rice. I bought it on a whim when I went to my favorite spice shop, Kalustyan's. It's a bit pricy costing $3.99 for a very small bag. I was esatic when it came out perfect on my first try. Rice is simple but I always mess it up a bit (too watery/sticky, too dry/burnt etc). That perfection may seem silly but to me it was worth the $3.99.


Ingredients: serves five1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup chopped bell peppers
1 cup shredded (cooked) chicken
1/2 cup crasins
5 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro pepper Method:

  • Combine the lime juice, oil, pepper, soy sauce, and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
  • Combine the remaining ingredients and toss with dressing.
  • Chill or eat at room temperature.Cost: about $4.50 or .90 per serving
Time: 15 minutes active

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving

Calories 299.4 Total Fat 3.3 g (YAY!) Saturated Fat 0.5 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1.3 g Monounsaturated Fat 1.2 g Cholesterol 8.2 mg Sodium 190.6 mg Potassium 159.3 mg Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g Dietary Fiber 2.0 g Sugars 11.5 g Protein 7.4 g

Weight Watcher Points: 6 per serving