Love for Food

Lebanese Potato Salad

Last year I was very excited to go to Movies with a View. Classic movies with the backdrop of the Brooklyn Bridge. I brought my favorite potato salad to munch on and thought it would be perfect. Problem was between taking it out of the fridge at work and getting to the park the mayo turned into oil.
This year, I got an e-mail from Eating Well, with Lebanese Potato Salad. I had to give it a try. This recipe did not include any mayo!I hate to admit that I wanted to watch the last five minutes of a riveting Law and Order and slightly overcooked my potatoes. (They were a bit more mushy than I would have liked.) But I was still pleased with the results. You might not like this dish if you are expecting a traditional potato salad. The texture is not creamy or wet. Rather, a bit on the dry side. I found the lemon and mint was refreshing. Best of all, I didn't get the usual heavy feeling in my stomach after eating some.
Ingredients: Serves Eight
2 pounds russet potatoes
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped mint

Method:

  • Peal and boil potatoes till cooked about 20 minutes
  • Rinse and chop potatoes into one inch cubes.
  • Whisk together lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl; mix with potatoes
  • Cool potatoes for about 1 hour
  • Add mint and scallion and serve
Cost: About $2.50 or .31 per serving
Time: 20 minutes active, 1 hour inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 134
Total Fat 5.2g
Saturated Fat 0.7g
Polysaturated Fat 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.7g
Cholesterol 0.0mg
Potassium 7.1mg
Total Carbohydrate 20.7g
Dietary Fiber 2.0g
Sugars 1.9g
Protein 2.3g

Weight Watcher Points: 3 points per serving