Love for Food

Boka: Bon Chon Chicken

I have never heard of Bon Chon chicken until this week. I decided to check out Boka, a Korean restaurant on St.Marks. I ordered one of my favorite Koran dishes, Bi Bim Bop. Bi Bim Bop is a rice bowl, typically served in a hot stone bowl. The bowl comes with rice, veggies, some sort of meat and usually has an egg on top. Bi Bim Bop usually is spiced with chilies but is not spicy. I ordered the Bi Bim Bop that was not in a stone bowl but served room temperature. I've never tried it that way and for a couple bucks cheaper figured it was worth a shot. The Bi Bim Bop was pretty good. I'd rate Boka's as middle level. It was not great but not terrible. I'm not sure I'd order it again. The chicken was another story. Bon Chon chicken is a method of frying chicken from North Korea. The "secret" is that the chicken is double fried and can be made either with the soy garlic or spicy flavor. Their claim is that it's not greasy, but it was. The taste however was fantastic. The chicken batter was light and delicious. Bon Chon is bit pricier than KFC (about $9 bucks for a small order). On the other hand, if you are going to break your diet and eat the stuff, you might as well eat high quality junk. It was also voted as one of the top fried chicken in NYC in Time Out Magazine this week! Try some :)