Love for Food

Pumpkin Chili

The air has been a bit crisper and cooler the past couple of weeks. At first I was a little upset that summer was coming to an end. School was starting up again and work was going to get busy. But than I started to think about all of my favorite fall foods.

I'm not sure why but I can't find canned pumpkin any other time of year. And believe me I've tried. I went to four supermarkets a few weeks ago and nothing! I guess there is less demand for it in the warmer months. It's back for the fall, and I decided to make chili. My favorite chili calls for canned pumpkin. I was finally able to make it again after summer hibernation. You don't taste the pumpkin flavor. The pumpkin gives the chili a nice smooth texture and flavor. It balances out the acidity of the tomatoes. Pumpkin is also very healthy and it's a great way to sneak it in. Another YAY!!! factor for me is that chili is hearty and keeps my tummy fill but has low WW points. Can't beat it at only four points per serving!

******Don't forget to keep voting for ME! Edesia Eats for Project Food Blog, you can vote by clicking on the PFB box on the right side of my page*******

Ingredients: Serves Six
1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey, I happened to have lean ground turkey in the freezer, 5%fat)
2 peppers diced (I used one orange and one green)
1 onion chopped
1 14.5oz can of whole tomatoes1 15oz can pumpkin1 jalapeno pepper chopped (optional)
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 15oz can kidney beans
1 8oz. can of spicy V-8
olive oil spray or 2 tablespoonssalt/pepper to taste
Method:

  • Heat up a large skillet and cook the onions till translucent add the garlic and ground meat
  • Cook the meat till no longer pink, drain the excess fat and liquid from the pan
  • Add the meat to a larger pan and add in the remaining ingredients
  • Simmer on low for about 30 minutes
Cost: $10.00 total or $1.67 per servingTime: 15 minutes active, 30 minutes inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 217.6Total Fat 5.7 gSaturated Fat 1.7 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.2 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.0 gCholesterol 53.3 mgSodium 721.7 mgPotassium 623.3 mgTotal Carbohydrate 21.9 gDietary Fiber 7.3 gSugars 4.3 gProtein 20.7 g

Weight Watcher Points: 4 per serving (YAY!!)