Love for Food

Apple Coffee Cake

The past week or so I began to think that I needed a set of go to recipes for classic baked goods. I wanted recipes that I could go to that I've tested before for items such as chocolate chip cookies, brownies, coffee cake, cheesecake and the like. I decided to start with coffee cake because I never made one before. I used Emeril's recipe simply because it was e-mailed to me as Food Network's recipe of the day. This recipe uses apples which was handy since I still have left overs. I am almost out of apples I swear!
This cake tasted pretty good. It was VERY moist. I could not decide if it was too moist aka wet or not. I would make this cake again. While deciding if this cake was worthy to make again I realized I "tasted" three big pieces. After I ate a few bites I wanted to eat more.
I did not make the recommended glaze with it. I was glad I skipped the glaze. The cake was plenty sweet as is. I am going to try a few different coffee cake recipes till I figure out what my favorite is. Next on my list is a lower calorie version. After putting in the ingredients to Spark Recipes, I found out that one piece had a whopping 11 WW points, and over 20 grams of fat! Ouch! Because it's very high in fat I would eat this only on a special occasion but it does taste great :)
Ingredients: Serves Twelve
1 stick plus 4 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups, cored, peeled and chopped apples

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13X9 baking dish.
  • In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
  • In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet, alternating with the sour cream and vanilla.
  • Fold in apples and pour into greased dish.
  • To make topping in bowl combine sugar (1/2 cup brown), flour (1/2 cup) cinnamon(1/2 teaspoon) and butter (4 tablespoons) and mix till it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of cake.
  • Bake about 45 minutes.
Cost: $3.40 total, .28 per serving
Time: 20 minutes active, 45 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 453.8 (YIKES!!!)
Total Fat 26.6 g (YIKES!!!)
Saturated Fat 16.1 gPolyunsaturated Fat 1.2 gMonounsaturated Fat 7.7 gCholesterol 105.4 mgSodium 33.4 mgPotassium 190.6 mgTotal Carbohydrate 60.7 gDietary Fiber 1.3 gSugars 36.7 gProtein 4.6 gWeight Watcher Points: 11 points per serving (YIKES!!!)