Love for Food

Asian Sticky Wings

I wanted to make these wings for a while now and the big Jet's game was the perfect opportunity! When I mentioned on Face Book I was making wings for the big game, my friend responded with what game? Yes it's true, I am not a big sports aficionado. I barley knew there was a game other than by seeing every one's status. I am reminded of a time several years ago in college. I was part of an intramural softball team. Each week my gay husband and I would get so excited about the games. Why? Not because we wanted to play. We got excited because we bought cute pink matching hats and spent the entire time sunning in the outfield while gossiping. Nope, our team was not too pleased with us. Back to the wings... I was excited about the game because I love to cook and entertain. And men (and women) football fans love to eat.

I saw these on a blog I follow, Budget Bytes. I like Budget Bytes because she features low cost cooking recipes. The recipes also have a step by step photo guide for how to make the dish. I'm not a huge wing fan but when I saw the picture of these wings, I wanted to try them. Plus, I had just about all of the ingredients already minus the wings.

These wings are a fun alternative your typical hot wings. If you like Asian flavors you'll love these wings! One word of caution, you really have to watch them when they are under the broiler. I left them for about two minutes and they were very done aka one more second and they would be toast :( I managed to get them out just in the nick of time. These would be great to bring to a Superbowl party :)

Ingredients: Serves Four

2 lbs. chicken wings1/4 cup honey2 Tbsp soy sauce1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce1 Tbsp sesame oil2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce1 Tbsp rice vinegar2 cloves garlic1 inch fresh ginger2 sliced green onionsas needed non-stick spray
Method:

  • Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl combine the honey, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and teriyaki sauce. Peel the ginger and grate it into the bowl using a small cheese grater. Mince the garlic and add it as well. Stir it all to combine.
  • Place the chicken wings in a colander and rinse well (you don't know what gets on them in the factory). Cut each wing at the joint to yield a drummet and a wing (see photos below). Add the wings to the bowl of sauce and stir to coat.
  • Spray a glass baking dish well with non-stick spray to make clean up easy. Dump the whole bowl of wings and sauce into the baking dish. Bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, stirring once after 15 minutes to recoat the wings in sauce.
  • After 25 minutes of baking, stir the wings to recoat with sauce then turn the oven on to broil. Broil for 3-5 minutes, stir then broil again for 3-5 minutes. Because broiling cooks fast and every oven is different, keep an eye on the wings. Stir them when the tops have turned nice and brown and then broil the other side. For me it was between 3-5 minutes. The sauce should have reduced and thickened significantly during the broiling stage.
  • Let the wings cool for 5 minutes before serving. The sauce will thicken further as it cools. Stir the wings around in the sauce to coat them well before serving. Sprinkle sliced green onions on top.

Cost: $5.07 total, $1.04 per serving
Time: 10 minutes active, 35 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving









Polyunsaturated Fat 3.2 g Monounsaturated Fat 3.3 g Cholesterol 129.4 mg

Sodium 635.7 mg Potassium 472.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g Dietary Fiber 0.1 g Sugars 17.8 g
Protein 50.4 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 9 points per serving (It's not too bad considering they are usually considered a no-no food. Plus they have a ton of protein and the serving size was pretty large.)

*** Please excuse the messed up spacing. It's all good on my end so it must be due to an error in Blogger the blogging program.***
Fat 2.6 gTotal Fat 11.4 gCalories 385.3